Best Practices fpr FireWire audio in mid-2018?

Optimize your system for ultimate performance.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

matyas
Established Member

Best Practices fpr FireWire audio in mid-2018?

Postby matyas » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Hello all,

I can't seem to find much useful information about configuring Firewire audio interfaces using the current Alsa drivers supplied with the kernel. Most of the documentation I'm seeing about Firewire audio on Linux is in regards to FFADO and seems to be older. I have read a few reports of success, however, and was hoping anyone with some knowledge of the subject could offer some guidance.

The details:
After about a decade away from Linux, I installed Ubuntu Studio + KX repositories on a machine that had been running Windows 10. I honestly wasn't expecting it to even detect my TC Electronics Studio Konnekt (DICE chipset), but not only is it detected, but it I can stream audio to it. However, I'm getting severe droupouts in the audio stream, to the point where it isn't really usable. I'm using the 4.15.0-20-lowlatency kernel. I read somewhere that someone was having success with a device of this family using an earlier kernel version, but I'm not sure it's a good idea to go all the way back to a 3.x kernel on an Ubuntu 18 system.

I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty with editing config files or compiling things from source, but if this turns out to be too much of a hassle I'll probably just use my class-compliant USB X32, which was kind of the plan all along. It would, however, be really nice to be able to use the StudioKonnekt.

Return to “System Tuning and Configuration”