Donations welcome!

Check this forum for important info regarding the site.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Lyberta
Establlshed Member

Re: Donations welcome!

Postby Lyberta » Sat May 26, 2018 6:11 pm

How many projects are hosted on this server? I pay 3Euro/month and get unlimited bandwidth.

raboof
Establlshed Member

Postby raboof » Sun May 27, 2018 9:51 am

Lyberta wrote:How many projects are hosted on this server? I pay 3Euro/month and get unlimited bandwidth.

I'm not paying for bandwidth per se, but more for the fact that the machines are administered by the good folks at https://uberspace.de/ . We're paying E6/month for hosting, which I feel is fair and would like to keep doing.

raboof
Establlshed Member

Postby raboof » Sun May 27, 2018 9:57 am

There have been some extremely generous donations coming in! I'll respect peoples' privacy and not share further details, but this will last us for quite a while again - to all who donated, thank you!!

Also I reached out to the marketing departments of a couple of relevant companies to see if they'd like to sponsor. Don't worry, we'll not 'sell out' and put obnoxious banners anywhere or sharing personal information, but of course if any of them agree to sponsor we'll find a reasonable way to give them credit.

tavasti
Establlshed Member

Postby tavasti » Sun May 27, 2018 10:10 am

First of all, I suggest posting to this thread on regular basis so that topic pops up every now and then. This is the way I also noticed this.
Linux veteran & Novice musician

nilshi
Establlshed Member

Postby nilshi » Sun May 27, 2018 10:43 am

raboof wrote:Don't worry, we'll not 'sell out' and put obnoxious banners anywhere or sharing personal information, but of course if any of them agree to sponsor we'll find a reasonable way to give them credit.

Even if there are banners, we are a tech community: I imagine most if not all use adblockers anyway. Maybe even javascript blocker. As far as I'm concerned, you can promise anything and "sell out".

CrocoDuck
Establlshed Member

Postby CrocoDuck » Sun May 27, 2018 12:10 pm

This triggers an idea in me:

Lyberta wrote:I pay 3Euro/month

Could patreon (or similar) work to collect donations for the site on a sort of subscription model? https://www.patreon.com/ (I actually have no idea about how that works, but few YouTubers use it to setup donation subscriptions).
Check my Linux audio experiments on my SoundCloud.
Browse my AUR packages.
Fancying a swim in the pond?

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Mon May 28, 2018 12:17 pm

raboof wrote:to all who donated, thank you!!

Thanks from me too. Pleased to hear this. I appriciate it that we all who use this forum keep it up running, as it's good for all of us. Like i always say: give and take.

nilshi wrote:
raboof wrote:Don't worry, we'll not 'sell out' and put obnoxious banners anywhere or sharing personal information, but of course if any of them agree to sponsor we'll find a reasonable way to give them credit.

Even if there are banners, we are a tech community: I imagine most if not all use adblockers anyway. Maybe even javascript blocker. As far as I'm concerned, you can promise anything and "sell out".

Right. I do too.

But there are other ways for forums to facilitate sponsors in an profitable way. Think about personal offers and sort off.
Raboof can contact me (prof. marketeer) about this if he wishes.

Return to “Announcements”